The world orphans day is usually marked on 7th May every year to share and learn on some of the experiences and challenges that are faced by orphans in the world over.
St.Camillus Dala Kiye therefore, as a show of togetherness with other regions in the world, spared time to mark this very important day not only in the lives of orphans but the whole of the human race.
The occasion drew participants mainly OVC from schools within Karungu division of Nyatike constituency.
This year’s theme was, “Orphans, Our Collective Responsibility”. The celebrations were marked at the St.Camillus Dala Kiye Children Welfare Home grounds as from 10.00am up to 4.00pm.The chief guest of the day was the District Officer, Karungu division. The day provided an opportunity for various organizations and stakeholders to express their concerns and solidarity with the OVC whose number continue to escalate by day in the entire Nyatike constituency. It was therefore a time to reflect on some of the positive measures that have been implemented in the past to help address the situation of the OVC and come up with workable solutions to the problems facing the OVC.
The following were some of the resolutions that were passed:
- That every community member should take the collective responsibility of caring for the OVC
- That OVC just like any other human being deserve to be shown love ad respect
- All stakeholders should take a leading role in the care and protection of the OVC
- That people should shun negative sexual practices that have escalated the rate of
- HIV/AIDS infection in the region.
- That the OVC should be enrolled and retained in school