- To prevent and maintain the physical, mental and social health of a HIV- negative mother and baby by providing health education on prevention of infection, nutrition and personal hygien
- To ensure a healthy baby (HIV- negative) is born to a HIV –positive mother by providing counseling and testing services, ARVs health education on safe sexual practices, and effective and proper methods of child feeding.
- To promote a stable health status of the HIV- positive mother by giving health education on safe sexual practices, family planning, proper feeding, use of ARVs and positive living with a HIV- positive status.
- History taking.
- Antenatal profile, ie. HB, VDRL, Urinalysis, BP, Weight assessment.
- Physical examination from head to toe.
- Administration of Proplylaxin, Anti-malarial, Laemetemics and Multivitamin tablets.
- Health education on danger signs in pregnancy, delivery and after delivery. Individual birth plan, use of insecticide treated nets, importance of seeking early treatment,
- Referral of complicated cases to a Doctor for review.
- Provision of ARV therapy (Nevirapine tablet) to the mother when labor starts and Nevirapine syrup to the baby after delivery within 72 hours.
- Continuous counseling on safe sexual practices, prevention of STI infection, exclusive breastfeeding, alternative feedings, balanced diet etc.