If you like to have an experience with us you can contact us directly
P.Emilio: +254-733-819103 Mobile Phone
THE CURRICULUM VITAE AND A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THEMSELVES IS REQUIRED FOR THOSE WHO ARE AT THEIR FIRST EXPERIENCE
Here are some notes that you may find useful.
- It’s explicit to follow the dates of arrival and departure as of the program
- Specify if you are coming with your partner ( we have one double bed)
- It’s obligatory to pay $50 for visa, which you can pay on arrival at airport in Kenya.
- Currency: Euro, any Kenyan Bank can change Euro into Kenya shillings. US Dollar, to exchange or use US dollars, be informed that the Kenyan Banks DO NOT accept dollars printed before the YEAR 2000.
- When you are waiting for your luggage on arrival in Nairobi, we advice you to change 100-150 € for your shopping ( there are 2 counters in the arrival zone of the airport). In Karungu we have a bank so it is possible to withdraw money using your credit card.
- If you come with your cell phone you can use it or use a local mobile phone for calling (instead of roaming that is expensive). In Karungu, we have a Wifi connection so you will be able to use your computer.
- A small contribution for general living cost is requested to the volunteer, 20 Euro per day is the minimum contribution (For those who sleep in the seminary in Nairobi is requested to provide the same amount).
- If possible, are useful clothes for children of Dala Kiye (from 4 to 15 years).
- At Karungu, we have a collection of Movies as per the attached list:
- Have a photocopy of your medical degree
- We need useful medical books in English, French, and Italian (there is a library for consultation (DOC) which need to be enriched and up dated.)
- We advice you to bring with you the dust coat and the theatre shoes which if possible can be left for the hospital. Besides, there are useful analgesic drugs, anti-fungal oral drugs and disposable gloves, which you can bring.
- To avoid confusion in the organization of your experience we give some useful information either for you or for us. Generally we need the presence of ANAESTHESIST, INTERNIST, CARDIOLOGIST, OPTHALMOLOGIST, DENTIST, RADIOLOGIST, GYNAECOLOGIST, & SURGEON. (The Surgeon has to be able to do gynecological surgery like the: caesarian section, Hysterectomy and extra uterine pregnancy.) Besides, who ever is able to use Ultra Sound Machine is welcome.
- Here is a complete list of drugs and material which are useful and very difficult to find locally (in Italian). Qui troverete una lista dei medicinali e dei prodotti farmaceutici
- We remind you that most of our patients are HIV positive. The doctors have to know the risks on their job.
Useful Information for the travel
ADVICE FOR VOLUNTEERS We would like to inform those who wish to come as volunteers at our Mission in Karungu that they can book their flight when they prefer, after making prior arrangements with us on accommodation on site, but considering the following new updates and guidelines: UPDATES ON TRAVEL OPTIONS FOR VOLUNTEERS COMING TO KARUNGU KENYA Since the travel situation has improved between Nairobi to Karungu and vice versa, we take this opportunity to update you on the options that you can use to travel. There has been introduced a flight from Nairobi – WILSON AIRPORT to HOMABAY and vice versa operated by FLY 540/ SAX AIR which is a reliable airline. We therefore will no longer send our driver to Nairobi to pick up visitors. On this note:
- Homabay is only 60km from Karungu and therefore it is easier and convenient for us to pick up our visitors
- The cost of the flight depends on the time of booking if it is in advance or not:
- One way ticket – Euro 60 – 100 (Kes 6,000 – 10,000)
- Return ticket- Euro 100 – 160 (Kes 10,000 – 16,000)
- If you book your ticket through us, the airline will allow you to carry check in luggage weighing a maximum of 30kg and hand luggage of 5kgs, as a favour to us, while if you book by yourself, you will be allowed to carry luggage weighing a maximum of 23kg.
- For more information/updates about the flight schedules you can visit the website: http://www.fly-sax.com/
- If you want to come during the week and stay in Nairobi for a while, we can book for you a taxi to pick you from the airport at a cost of Euro 20 (Kes 2,000) and reserve accommodation for you within Nairobi at a cost of 20 Euro (Kes 2,000) to be paid in local currency.
- Please note that from NAIROBI the flights arrive and depart from WILSON AIRPORT while from HOMABAY, they depart and arrive at KABUNDE AIRSTRIP.
The flights are currently scheduled ONLY ON THE FOLLOWING DAYS:
|NAIROBI TO HOMABAY||HOMABAY TO NAIROBI|
For more information, consult the website : htpp://www.fly-sax.com
|NAIROBI TO HOMABAY||HOMABAY TO NAIROBI|
For more information: htpp://www.bluskyaviation.co.ke
If you find the flight to be expensive, you have an option of using the bus services that ply between Nairobi and Karungu (Sori town) every morning and evening. TRANSLINE BUS SERVICES
- A bus ticket to Karungu (Sori town) costs approximately Euro 8 (Kes 800) and the bus takes 8 hours to reach Karungu which is just next to the hospital.
- The cost of a taxi from the airport to the bus station in Nairobi is Euro 15 (Kes 1,500) to be paid in local currency.
|DEPARTURE TIME (Approximate)||ARRIVAL TIME (Approximate)|
|FROM SORI||6.00am – Morning||Nairobi 3.00pm – afternoon|
|5.00pm – Evening||Nairobi 3.00am – morning|
|FROM NAIROBI||6.00am – Morning||Karungu (Sori) 4.00pm – afternoon|
|5.00pm – Evening||Karungu (Sori) 4.00am – morning|
|BUS FARES||Approximately: · kes 800 – low season · kes 1,200 high season NOTE: Prices can change anytime without notice|
|BUS STATION IN NAIROBI||KOBIL PETROL STATION BEHIND AFYA CENTRE TOM MBOYA STREET|
|BUS STATION IN KARUNGU||OUTSIDE JIM SMILE HOTEL|